Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fish Recipe

This recipe is adapted from my friend's bulgogi marinade recipe. Bulgogi is a Korean dish made from beef that's marinaded in sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, garlic and green onions. The two most amazing things about bulgogi are that the majority of people who taste it seem to like it and that it comes out juicy, tender and far from dry every time. Owing to these two properties, and the fact that I don't eat meat, I decided to apply the marinade recipe to fish. Over the last ten years that I've made fish in this manner, I used trout, salmon, tilapia, mahi mahi, and red snapper. I've also used it with firm tofu and tempeh. I would even guess that it would work with chicken breast as well.


2 lbs of fish, diced into 2 inch squares or sliced into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup sesame, olive or grape seed oil (pick one)
1/4 cup soy sauce (japanese is best) or Bragg's liquid aminos (pick one)
juice of 1 lemon
1/2  bunch of fresh green onions, cilantro or dill (pick one)
6 cloves of garlic, crushed

Combine all ingredients in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and let marinade in the refrigerator anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight, or cook right away. To cook, use a stainless steel or cast iron frying pan on the range or bake in the oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment