Monday, February 16, 2009

Deodorant

 1. Tom's of Maine long-lasting care aluminum free deodorant stick in lavender

I don't remember exactly when I stopped using underarm antiperspirants. However, I clearly remember experiencing chaffing, itching and irritation at the site of application that led me to part with the, formerly, strong enough for a man, but made for a woman and, more recently, because you are hot type products that contain paraben and aluminum compounds, strong scent, and unpronounceable chemical components. As a result, in college, I switched to natural alternatives. But as my sister frequently, but not so subtly pointed out to me, they did not prevent the odor. Although not completely satisfied, I continued to use natural deodorants, choosing safety and ethics over effectiveness. That is, until I came across Tom's of Maine long-lasting care in lavender. We've been inseparable ever since:)

As a doctor and a consumer, my first concern is always the safety of the product that the skin comes in contact with. When looking at product label, I ask myself, do you know what the ingredients are, how they are sourced, and their purpose in the product? If the answer is no, does the manufacturer make this information available on their website? This deodorant has all natural, fully pronounceable, completely safe ingredients. As a bonus, the lovely lavender scent is reminiscent of the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia and Sofia Rotaru's rendition of Gornaya Lavanda. 

As a healthcare professional, I hold myself to a very high standard for cleanliness and personal hygiene. For impeccable personal hygiene, I am concerned with the deodorant's effectiveness. How well a deodorant works depends on its ability to inhibit of growth of odor-causing bacteria and neutralize or block the odor molecules.

At this point in the blogversation I should clarify the difference between deodorant and antiperspirant. Deodorant is an agent that reduces, masks, or neutralizes unpleasant odor (think baking soda in your refrigerator). Antiperspirant is a sub-category of deodorant which prevents odor by blocking sweat produced by the body (think botox).  

Aluminum compounds are one of antiperspirants that obstruct sweat glands to reduce sweat production.  The safety of aluminum compounds is disputed. I err on the side of caution, and do not use aluminum-containing compounds on my skin. Not to digress, but it's important to note that body odor is produced by bacteria acting on odorless sweat produced by the body. The body produces sweat in order to cool itself. (A natural solution to reducing the number of underarm bacteria is to use soap or body wash that has the same pH as the skin in lieu of high pH formulas which increase the pH of the skin to become conducive to bacterial growth).

Tom's of Maine long-lasting care is not an antiperspirant. It doesn't interfere with the body's ability to cool itself via sweat production. But it is effective in reducing the odor-inviting bacteria and blocking odor. In my experience it lives up to it's label claim of 12 hour long-lasting odor protection. Has it worked for you? I'd love to hear about your experience with it?

Interestingly, this deodorant is also Kosher and Halal, certifications usually applied to edible products in accordance with Jewish and Muslim dietary laws. In this case could the Kosher and Halal labels signify an absence of animal products? If you have an idea why a deodorant would carry Kosher or Halal certification, please enlighten me! Although I have yet to find out the reason for this, I appreciate that Tom's of Maine is inclusive of individuals with many different lifestyles including vegan, vegetarian, Kosher and Halal. Last, but not least, I appreciate its environmentally-responsible business practices manifested by non-aerosol, recyclable, made in USA products.

What's your favorite natural personal hygiene product that you don't leave home without?

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate this funny, educational and insightful postings. Dr. Roth, please keep it going.
    I had one quick comment/question: As deoderant sticks/roll-ons chafe my skin as I have sensitive skin, is there a natural alternative to those body sprays for men?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bob,

    Men's body sprays like AXE contain strong fragrance that can be toxic to the nervous system. Consider using Weleda citrus or sage non-aerosol deodorant spray. This natural spray contains fragrance that is derived from essential oils and has no neurotoxic chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya, half a year ago I bout toothpaste from plants, no fluoride, and I enjoyed using it until recently my friend (dental hygienist) told me that it is not good without fluoride. Two days later my other friend so it and told me that she is buying toothpaste in her dental office with double fluoride by her hygienist. Please help me, which toothpaste is better to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Diana,

    Thanks for your question. I will dedicate a post to toothpaste under the Top 10 Personal Care category. Stay tuned.

    Maya

    ReplyDelete