Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Summer Butternut Squash Soup

This week, the LA weather took a turn for the worse. And by worse, I mean, it turned ugly and reminiscent of an Arizona summer. I really enjoying making and tasting soups. In yesterday's 100 degree heat, I had to think of another way to enjoy my shapely organic butternut squash. I decided to make a chilled summer soup. I let my crock pot do the sweating, while I went to the beach. This soup came out really well and I am excited to share it with you!

Ingredients:

1 butternut squash cleaned, peeled, seeded and cut into 1.5 inch cubes
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
4 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
1/2 bunch dill, roughly chopped
1 twig of fresh rosemary, or 1-2 teaspoons dried rosemary
1 inch section of ginger, peeled and finely minced
juice of 1 orange
olive oil
salt
pepper
6-8 cups of water


Directions:

1. In a pan, saute onion in olive oil until golden brown.
2. Add celery, carrot, salt, pepper, rosemary, ginger, orange juice and dill and continue to saute covered for 10 more minutes
4. Put butternut squash in a crock pot. Cover with water and cook on low setting for 6-8 hrs. (If you don't have a crock pot, you can also simmer it in a soup pot on low heat for an hour)
5. Adjust water, salt and pepper
6. Pure in a food processor, blender or using an immersion blender.
7. Chill in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours
8. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment