Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pomegranate Vinegar

My next door neighbor has a pomegranate tree, which means that I have access to lots of pomegranates this time of the year.

I decided to incorporate this yummy fruit into more recipes. I began with a home made pomegranate vinegar. It is great to use in salads which call for lemon juice or any type of vinegar (balsamic, apple cider etc). Here’s my recipe – give it a try! It makes a lovely DIY present for your dinner hosts in lieu of wine.

Ingredients:

1 fresh pomegranate

10 oz of white vinegar

12-16 oz glass bottle

Directions:

Open the pomegranate and take out the seeds; discard the skin and pulp

Add pomegranate seeds to the glass bottle

Pour the vinegar over the seeds and close lid very tightly

Store in a dark cool place for 2 weeks to develop flavor

Use in recipes calling for vinegar or lemon juice

Optional/alternative:

Instead of pomegranate, use cherries with pits and stems

No comments:

Post a Comment