Monday, March 22, 2010

Go Further!

Over the weekend, I watched Ron Mann's 2003 Documentary Go Further starring Woody Harrelson. Woody and his friends bicycled alongside a bio-diesel bus from Seattle, WA to Los Angeles, CA with an important message. Their message is one of personal transformation and environmental responsibility, in a nutshell, to go further. The message of this project was really poignant, for me, and the images really nostalgic.



Last summer, I drove from LA to Seattle and back to attend the annual convention of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians which took place in Tacoma, WA. On my travels through Washington, I passed mile after mile of tree stumps, and truck after truck carrying lumber. (Clear-cutting was one of the concerns depicted in this movie). I spent hours on the pristine and completely deserted beaches of Oregon, also depicted in the documentary. And ever since moving to Los Angeles, I make a weekly trip to the local farmer's market for the no-spray, local, better-than-organic produce. Organic farming in California is another cause this movie touched on.


In Go Further, Woody and his friends show that everyone us of us can make a difference and that change begins with each one of us. The first step is the awareness of the connection between the food we consume, our health, and our environment. Once we understand this connection, we can change the way we eat and demand change in how our food is produced.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how many people are going through a version of this transformation? Mine started ten years ago when the kids left home and the wife left me. Then I met a fellow traveler. Then I s diagnosed with cancer. And with each step I enjoy this world and my life more. John Muir said something like, "When you touch one part of nature, everything is connected." My revalation was just how connected everything really is.
    Macbythesea@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete