Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Raised Tomato Planter

Last Sunday I worked on a super amazing project that I am excited to share with you - a 6'x1'x1' tomato planter. This project began with an old solid wood bookshelf that was sitting in the garage. We tipped it on its side, added a bottom and two ends from scrap wood that was also found in our garage.



We drilled holes in the bottom of each section for water drainage and added three planks along the bottom to raise the planter a couple of inches off the ground.


We put the planter in the middle of the yard to maximize sun exposure. Then picked up 4 bags of organic soil and distributed them evenly along the six planter squares.


And finally, we planted tomatoes that I started 4-6 weeks ago from seeds in cans.


This tomato plant looks pretty happy in her new home:)


The cost of this project was about $25 which is what it cost us to buy 4 bags of organic soil. We had tape measure, scrap wood, wood screws, electric drill and electric saw on hand.



We spent the rest of the morning decorating the planter with positive messages:)





1 comment:

  1. I'm about to start tomato plants myself! I have never grown anything though.. so I'm likely to kill them. But I'm going to buy supplies this week and pick up the plants over the weekend. (I plan to use containers). I love the bookcase idea! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete