Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cold Care Soup

Just as the winter became spring, the weather turned cold and rainy. This morning, I woke up feeling chilly, achy and congested. Oh no, I have a cold! My mission for today is threefold:

1. Increase my body temperature
2. Remove obstacles to launching an effective immune response
3. Give my body all that it needs to get back into balance

I put on my winter wools (hat, scarf, socks) and snuggled under the down blanket. I am avoiding solid food, stress, and alcohol. And most importantly, I must rest, rest, rest!

To aid me with my recovery, I made an awesome broth that I named Cold Care Soup. It actually satisfies all three of my mission objectives. It helped me break a sweat, it is super light on the digestive track, and it helps my immune system.

Ingredients:

6 cups of filtered  water
1 whole medium onion peeled 
5 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
1 sprig of thyme 
1 lemon grass stick, cut into 3 inch pieces
2 inch section of fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
ground black pepper
cayene powder
1 tablespoon of miso per serving
additional or substitute ingredients: (fresh oregano, fresh sage or any other fresh and pungent herb from your local farmer's market)

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients except miso in a soup pot. Bring to boil. Lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes or until the onion is soft. You will smell the aroma and know when the broth is ready.

2.  Ladle the broth into a bowl or a mug taking care to leave the herbs and savories in the pot. Add 1 tablespoon of miso to each bowl or mug and mix well.

3.  Enjoy and feel better!


No comments:

Post a Comment