Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Huge Impact

Last night I watched Collin Beavan's No Impact Man: The Documentary. Beavan's year long project into reducing his family's environmental impact, documented in this movie, had a profound impact on me. It reaffirmed for me that what is good for the environment is also good for me personally, or as Colin puts it, on his blog, "happier planet = happier people". And just like anything that is worthwhile watching - this documentary was not merely enjoyable and worthy of discussion, it propelled me to take immediate action.

Before I knew it, I had taken out my sewing machine, old cotton tablecloth and a tape measure and made drawstring bags for the greens and fresh herbs I pick up at the farmer's market every week. (Most weeks, I decline the plastic bag and just place the dill, parsley and cilantro directly into my shopping bag, often next to muddy beets, and later regret not having anything to shield them from the dirt. Also greens tend to last longer in the refrigerator when stored in a bag.)


As my reusable recycled cloth bags are drying on the line, I am inspired to completely do away with plastic bags. What are your thoughts about healthy and happy environment being inseparable from healthier and happy people? Have you seen No Impact Man or read Beavan's book by the same name?

No comments:

Post a Comment